The issue of this paper is: Are Ritalin, Adderall, and other similar medications used for treating ADD/ADHD safe, effective, and appropriately used? Is ADD/ADHD over-diagnosed, leading to excessive use and abuse of these powerful medications?
The position that I want written is: ADD/ADHD is over-diagnosed. Medications used to treat it are over- prescribed powerful drugs with unwanted side effects. Furthermore, these drugs re abused as study drugs even by people without ADHD. There are effective non-drug alternatives for treating ADHD.
Points I want made in the paper are:
– These drugs can be found on the black market, which gives access to people who aren’t diagnosed with this sickness
– Kids in School use this to study especially Ivy League schools
– Alternatives should be looked for before going down the road of medication, such as nutrients – Make the point that yes the medication is effective but it doesn’t mean it’s good
-Side effects that the medications listed above have
USE THESE SOURCES:
– “ADHD/ Ritalin long term: bad and good news” by Lawrence Diller
– ” New Study Finds Early Ritalin Exposure May Cause Long-Term Effects on Brain; Research in Animal Models Underscores Need for Correct Diagnosis of ADHD” from AScribe Health News Service
– “Ritalin and ADHD — recent developments. (Issue)” by Joe Huber and Paul Duhuis
– “EXPERTS CALL FOR MORE RESEARCH INTO ADHD DRUG RITALIN” from State News Service
– “Ritalin may not help children with ADHD” from The Times (London, England)
– “Helping Your Child Become Calm, Engaged, and Focused Without A Pill” by Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D.
(focus on the data not his opinions)
– “The Effectiveness of Mindfulness Training on Behavioral Problems and Attentional Functioning in Adolescents with ADHD” by Eva van de Weijer-Bergsma, Anne R. Formsma, Esther I. de Bruin, S. Bgels
* Please keep in mind that the evidence is the Data
* Try to paraphrase rather than use actual quotes
* MAKE SURE THAT THE PAPER IS WELL ORGANIZED. IT HAS AN INTRODUCTION WHICH CLEARLY STATES THE ISSUE AND WHAT SIDE I AM ON. EACH PARAGRAPH FOLLOWING THE INTRODUCTION MAKES A SINGLE ARGUMENT FOR WHY MY SIDE IS RIGHT OR THE OTHER SIDE IS WRONG.