Write a 3-4 page (700-1000 words) paper in which you apply sociological concepts from class to current events. Concepts, current events, and sources are below.
Using 2 concepts from class, offer a sociological explanation of one of the current events listed on the last page using the articles provided.
In line with Core Goal 4, Outcome 1, students should “investigate the diversity of human experience within the United States, considering, for example, age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, language, race, religion, sexual orientation, and social class, and appreciate the contributions of different social groups.”
First, you should summarize your chosen event using only one of the articles provided on the last page. Identify the major problem and describe, in your own words, the events that lead to the topic at hand. This portion of the assignment should take up no more than one page.
Second, start to think like a sociologist! Using 2 sociological concepts from class, try to explain why the event occurred and why the event is considered important to society from a sociological perspective. You should introduce and briefly define the concepts you are using according to the definitions provided in class and in assigned readings. Then apply them to your chosen topic. Use the source articles for information. DO NOT USE OUTSIDE SOURCES OTHER THAN WHAT IS PROVIDED.
ROUGH DRAFT INSTRUCTIONS:
You will be expected to review a draft of your paper in discussion sections on Nov. 4th or 5th, 2021.
Bring a printed copy of your completed draft to your discussion for a peer review session on March Nov. 4th/ 5th. Your GTA will give you more specific details in your discussion sections.
FORMAT AND SUBMISSION:
● Your paper must be typed in black 12 point Times New Roman font on a page with one-inch margins.
● Length should be between 3 to 4 double-spaced pages (700-1000 words)not including a Works Cited page.
● You must explicitly state the title of the article, the author, and BOTH concepts used in the introduction.
● You must include in-text citations and a Works Cited or References page!
● Use ASA citation. For reference, go to:
○ Or go to the Writing Center.
○ Here is the ASA citation format for lecture material:
■ In text citation: (Professor’s Last Name and Year).
For example: (Wright 2021).
■ Works cited page: Last Name, First Name. Year. “Title of Lecture.”
For example: Wright, Lisa-Marie. 2021. “Gender Socialization.”
● Excessive headings will not be counted toward page count (refer to word count requirements)
● It must be saved in either rich text format (.rtf) or Microsoft Word format (.docx). Word is preferable.
● When you have completed the final draft of your assignment, you will upload the .rtf or .docx file through the SafeAssign system on Blackboard. DO NOT UPLOAD PDF, PAGES, OR TEXT FILES! You can find the link on the left under Writing Assignment à SafeAssign.
● The final draft is due via Blackboard by 11:59pm on Sunday, Nov 14th, 2021. There will be five points removed per day late.
LIST OF POSSIBLE CONCEPTS*:
Durkheim-related: Consensus perspective; Social solidarity; Collective conscience; Collective effervescence; Anomie
Marx-related: Conflict perspective; Class stratification; Base and superstructure (Historical Materialism); Class conflict; Exploitation; Cultural hegemony
Bourdieu-related: Capital configuration and Capital conversion (the relationships among social capital, economic capital, and cultural capital)
Microsociology: Looking glass self; Symbolic interactionism; Impression management; Roles/Teams
Other Concepts from Reading and Lecture: Social structure and agency; Social construction; Privilege (SPECIFY race, gender, class, age ability); Structural/Institutional discrimination; Micro-aggressions; Intersectionality; Gender and sexuality: Gender constructionism; Gender essentialism; Stalled revolution; Leisure gap; Gender ideology; Gender strategy; Hegemonic Masculinity/femininity; Gender socialization; Glass ceiling; Self-fulfilling prophecy; Gender identity (Genderqueer; Cisgender; Transgender; Intersex; Non-binary); Sexual desire; Sexual behavior; Sexual identity; Neoliberalism
*If you would like to use a concept not on this list, consult your GTA.
CURRENT EVENTS AND SOURCES:
You MUST choose one of the following seven topics and use the source(s) linked below for information on the issue. Read the relevant article, then provide a sociological interpretation of the situation using concepts from class. PDF versions of the articles are also available on Blackboard.
Fall 2021 PAPER TOPIC ARTICLES:
The U.S. is more racially diverse than ever. Will people of color unify politically?
I Was Told To Hide My Gender Nonconformity. My Photography Helped Me Break Free
Racial Inequities Persist in Health Care Despite Expanded Insurance
COVID-19 highlights inequities in education during pandemic
Finding childcare has always been hard for US workers. Today, it’s harder
Staggering US wealth inequality heaps long-term harm on to minority children